Mandrake (Mandragora officinarum) is a perennial hardy in zones 6-10, it is considered to be a rare plant. Traditionally this plant has been used for fertility, as an aphrodisiac, to relieve pain, and promote sleep. This plant is poisonous and shouldn’t be ingested.
Spiritual and Magickal Usage:
- Mandrake oil can be used to anoint candles for purification in rituals.
- Mandrake root is used in fertility spells.
- Add mandrake to herbal incense for protection and enhancing of magickal potency in ritual.
- Sprinkle mandrake with blessed water and salt, bury it near the front door for protection of the home.
- Sacred to Hekate, add this root to your shrines or as an offering to her in your workings.
- The leaves of mandrake are harmless and used in ointments for relief of burns.
- A tincture made from the fresh plant is said to relieve the pain of rheumatism and facilitate sleep.*
Sow mandrake seeds to about 1/4 inch in a sandy, alkaline mixture of soil. We recommend doing this in a flat or a gallon pot. The pot should be placed in a shadehouse or a shaded spot in a relatively cool corner of a greenhouse. Germination may take up to 12 months. Oscillating temperatures are preferred over consistent even temperatures.
All information is provided for educational purposes with no guarantee of results; please use all herbal products with care.
*This plant is poisonous and extreme caution should be used when working with it. Keep away from pets and children.
Packet of 13 organic Mandrake (Mandragora autumnalis) seeds.