Black Poppy is a swift growing annual or overwintering annual that is fall-sown in zones 7-10 and spring-sown in colder zones. In the Victorian Language of Flowers, poppy symbolized eternal sleep and imagination. This plant is a useful ingredient for love spells, prophecy, fertility, dream magick, psychic awareness, and spirituality. Further, it is said to confuse spirits.
Spiritual and Magickal Usage:
- Sprinkle seeds around the exterior of your home to confuse spirits of ill will.
- Sleep with a sachet of poppy seeds (you can use the dried leaves and flowers too) under your pillow to relieve insomnia.
- Add poppy in a witch’s bottle for love to attract love, or to help you learn to love yourself.
- Favored by Hekate, add this to spells and rituals evoking her for favorable results.
- Poppy flowers can be presented as offerings to the dead in remembrance.
- Include poppy for any ritual involving Hypnos, Thanatos, Somnus, Nyx, Demeter, or Persephone.
- Using a poppy pod, write a question on a small piece of paper and insert it inside the pod, rolled up. Place the pod under your pillow for dreams to guide you to the answer.
- Poppy seeds are widely used in Indian culinary dishes and on pastries like poppyseed bagels.
- Poppy is said to be a sedative and painkiller.
Sow poppy seeds directly outdoors in the early spring. Poppies are tolerant to frost and germinate best in cool weather and soil. In zones 8-10 sow your seeds in December and January for blooming in the following spring. Poppy prefers full sun in soil with good drainage.
All information is provided for educational purposes with no guarantee of results; please use all herbal products with care.
Packet of 300 organic Black Poppy (Papaver somniferum var paeoniflorum) seeds.